Monday, April 06, 2009

Making Baskets and Bowls Equals Fun


Not long ago I was at the Finally Together Quilt Shop and bought the book, "It's a Wrap," by Susan Breier. After just one basket, I was addicted to the process...these little bowls are fun to create.

Picking out the fabrics and learning how the different prints go together has been the most interesting part of this journey. Sometimes certain fabrics turn out to be really bright baskets. I had made one from material with brightly colored hot air balloons all over it and wow, what a rainbow of busy and beautiful colors.

Following Susan's directions, I cut my fabric at 3/4" strips and wrapped it solidly around cotton cording. (Susan suggests 1/2" to 3/4" strips). The first one I created was done according to the book and it was amazing to watch the material slowly turn into the bowl pictured below. I have to say, the first basket was quite an experience in sewing and this little number has a whole bunch of mistakes. I knew one thing for sure, I had the wrong needle as it kept breaking which meant it took time to replace. As well, with the wrong needle, you also get thread breakage. I went ahead and finished up my practice basket and was pleased with how well it was shaped. But I also knew I could get a whole lot better; besides, like I said in the beginning, I was addicted to the whole creative process. So I began creating my own baskets and bowls using my own designs and ideas. That's how the Easter Baskets came about.

But before all the Easter baskets, I had created the rainbow basket which has two large handles. Then I made a large blue bowl trimmed with fibers and embellishments which looks to me like I will fill it with nice hot biscuits fresh from the oven the next time we have company over for dinner.

For more information about the baskets, please hop on over to the link for Susan Breier's site, Susan's Stitches. You will find a wonderful gallery of her baskets and purses which she has created with the cotton laundry line and fabric. As well, you can order her book , "It's a Wrap," through her store.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Beautiful Baskets! I can see how you became hooked on making them I have seen these baskets in stores and always put it on my one to make one someday list. Thanks so much for sharring
Peace and Blessings
Cheryl...Snatch JOY!

Donna Childree Gotlib said...

These are really nice. I've never seen them before. Thank you for sharing.