Monday, October 20, 2008

Time Slips Away While Painting













I've been taking some online classes by Paulette Insall. This one is called Organic Dimensions. It's been a lot of fun and I've so enjoyed the process. Paulette is a delight to follow in her lessons and she creates a fun and exciting place to learn.

These are created on 12x12 canvases. The Robin painting still needs words added to one side...thinking I'll add the latin words for "Robin," or something like that. The original image I picked up at the "Graphic Fairy" website. If you need an excellent copyright free image, she has so many there at her website to choose from; holidays, angels, fairies, cute children and delightful women...the list could go on and on. So this image I am using was a black and white image. I printed it out on a good quality paper, let it dry well, then applied it to the canvas with Goldens Gel Matte Medium. After it dried I painted it in with acrylics.

The Angel image came from a 1953 Ideals magazine. I applied Matte Medium to her in the same way as above. Once it was dry, I recolored the image with Caran D'Ache Neocolor II wax pastels (a purchase from Dick Blick). I can't tell you just how fabulous these wax sticks are; they blend like magic and are so much fun to work with. I was addicted with the first use of them and will continue to find ways to use them in more of my art in the future. I also used the wax sticks to add a layer of dimension to the background to give it the pinks and yellows that I was looking for. Her wing is from a string of butterflies I have hanging in my art space, poor little butter fly got one wing section clipped off and now he sits a bit sideways. The wings were stark, bright white so I inked over them with a bit of Tim Holtz vintage photo distressing ink.

Paulette's class has really helped me add new dimension to my backgrounds and I'm loving the whole process of painting in a new direction.

2 comments:

Bevie said...

I love both of those you did in Paulette's class. She's a real sweetie. Your art is beautiful hon.

Dream With the Fishes said...

Your collages are really very beautiful!! I love these!