Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Busy, Busy, Etsy, Etsy....

I can't believe the last post was on the 25th of February - wow, I've fallen behind. So what have I been up to? I've been creating and getting ready to post items to my new Etsy site. I am surprised at how many steps it takes to get things ready to post.


First and foremost, you have to have a product to put on the site. I don't know about you, but when I begin a project, it usually leads to another project or a new idea. Once a new idea anchors itself in my brain, I have to work on that for a while, unless I am so busy that I force myself to do a quick sketch, adding information and arrows all around the idea. I've never calculated the quick sketch time against the creative time, but it feels to me like putting pen and pencil to paper, adding notes and arrows takes just as much time as the whole creation process. But actually, that's just my impatience with myself, I know once I start the actual process of creating and feeling all the textures, that I'll work on the project until it is completed - to include the frustration of a process that didn't work (darn brain, sometimes steers me wrong), but the idea will still be seated in my head to work on later. So in the event of a mistake or something that didn't quite work like I firmly imagined, I'll have to sketch it out anyway and save this for a later play date.

After the creative process is over you discover that it's not quite over yet - now I have to photograph every item, whether it goes on a website or out to a local shop, I also add a product code for each piece (it may come in handy during tax time), and then I'll download the photos into the computer. Now this takes a bunch of time...I take too many photos of each piece, but I once heard, It takes hundreds of photos to get one perfect picture. I am thankful I didn't take that many of each item, if I had, I'd still be clicking away. So my photos are in the computer now - waiting for me to clean them up, delete where necessary, crop, etc.

This is where I'm at today....waiting on myself to get to all the pictures edited, but I know as I get them ready to post to my Etsy site that I will have to also think up some creatively thought out words to add to each picture. I'll have to think about pricing and postage/handling...it's all a process and I've found that each little process takes a certain hour out of the day. In the end, I'll have my creativity on line or in a shop which has been my dream for the last 16 years...that's a long time to dream about something.

2 comments:

Kari & Kijsa said...

Can't wait to see all your goodies!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Angelina's Trinkets said...

Thank you for coming by...I have opened my etsy shop now.